As you’ve probably guessed, Patrick and I made it out of Haiti safely. We’ve had a long week reintegrating back into our “normal” life.
We don’t know when we are going to be able to bring J home. We still have to complete the following steps:
- Exit IBESR (Haitian adoption unit) – on average, it takes people 3-6 months to exit.
- Our file has to go to Parquet (I am really not even sure what this means)
- Legalization after Parquet
- Passports printed
- Enter USCIS (immigration)
- 1-600 approval (the form we filed at the Embassy while in Haiti)
- Visa Approval
- Bring home J
While this phase of waiting will be even more difficult now that we’ve held our son and seen his smile, we can go to Haiti to visit him. If we can manage it, Patrick and/or I plan to go to Haiti every three months for short trips (3-4 days) to continue bonding J with, hopefully making his transition home less traumatic.
As of right now, Patrick and Noah will take the first trip in January. Brady and I will go in April. If you are interested in joining us and loving on some amazing kids, please let me know. We would love to share this experience with you.